Ok so I wanted to blog about the current migration, I am going through with my company so that maybe some of you could chime in a give me some ideas, tips, are tricks.
So we have 2 companies that merged together to form Company C. So after the merger I decided to build a new domain (DomainC.local), and migrate DomainA.local & DomainB.local to DomainC.local. 2 different domains and 2 different forest. DomainC.local is in a new forest and new domain. For various security issues in DomainA.local and internal politics with company a & company b, I created the new forest and the new domain with DomainC.local in it.
DomainA.local had a server infrastructure of server 2000 and Exchange 2000, pretty much a complete server 2000/NT infrastructure.
- Back in December I did a upgrade on the 2000 servers to 2003 to leverage PowerShell for the migration.
- Biggest of the 2 domains. Approximately 300+ people.
- Domain Infrastructure 10+ years old.
- No MS Licensing Agreement
- Windows XP Professional Desktops
- BartPE for imaging workstations (when used)
- VMware 2.0 was upgraded to 4.1 in January, and moved from ESX to ESXi Architecture.
- Using ScriptLogic Desktop Authority instead of GPO for desktop administration, restriction, and software deployment.
DomainB.local had a MUCH smaller infrastructure but all Server 2008 and Exchange 2007.
- Exchange 2007 CAS Server and Mailbox Server
- Several other 2008 Servers and a few 2003 Servers
- MDT 2007/2010 Workstation imaging
- Windows Vista & Windows 7 Workstations
- Group Policy
DomainC.local I built with Server 2008 R2 servers and Exchange 2010 for email
- The Domains functional level is Windows Server 2008
- The Forest functional level is Windows Server 2003
- I have a trust between the 2 domains to assist with authentication migrating users.
- VMwawre 4.1 host
- SCCM 2012 (Installed Late April 2012)
- Lync 2010 w/Edge Server
- SharePoint 2010 Farm
- MDT 2012
- Exchange CAS server & Exchange Mailbox Server
- Upgraded to SP1
- Many more Win 2008 R2
Ok so mow, I have been migrating users from the DomainA.local to DomainC.local and so far so good… we run into a few hiccups with an app not being installed are configured but for the most part so far so good. I have not integrated SCCM 2012 into the migration. Still brainstorming on ideas on how to integrate sccm2012 into the migration. (I just added our AV client into the applications and deployed it to the workstations collection group). If anyone has ideas on how to maybe integrate more with CM2012 and use CM2012 to enhance the migration I’m all ears. (Thinking about moving my MDT deployment solution to CM2012, Not sure yet.)
I’ve planned on deploying the software to device collections since each department has specific software, for example cardiology has different peripherals than orthopedics & and so-forth. Again any ideas; kick’em out there.
So far my process seems to be good…
- Go through Exchange2010 PowerShell to prepare the mailbox:
- .\Prepare-MoveRequest.Ps1 -Identity “sljones” -RemoteForestDomainController “ISADS02.lcmsc.com” -RemoteForestCredential $Remote -LocalForestDomainController “ICMGDC01.icmg.local” -LocalForestCredential $Local -TargetMailUserOU “OU=The Clinic,OU=Users,OU=ICMG,DC=icmg,DC=local” –UseLocalObject
- Go through Exchange2010 PowerShell to move the user:
- New-MoveRequest -Identity “sljones” -RemoteLegacy -TargetDatabase “Mailbox Database 0632030541” -RemoteGlobalCatalog “ISADS02.lcmsc.com” -RemoteCredential $Remote -TargetDeliveryDomain “icmg.local” –BadItemLimit 5
- The two scripts above also create the user in Active Directory, so after the 2 cmdlets above are ran I use ADMT on the DC to move the users SID information from DomainA.local to DomainC.local
After the above is complete the rest is a manual process of finding the users folder on DomainA.local and copying and dragging it to the file server on DomainC.local, and any PST files the user may have are manually imported into Exchange 2010. (Hopefully someone can help me out with automating this process)
- New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox JoeDoe-FilePath \\ICMGFS01\Email\trichard.PST
So, how for the biggest challenge. “THE END USERS” so we have a simple document we deliver to the end users before there upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 & from Office XP/2000 to Office 2010. Any computers not having 3GB of ram get Windows ThinPC Operating System and RemoteApps get deployed via Group Policy. The GPO is targeting only Windows ThinPC Operating Systems with a WMI filter.
I’ve been doing 1 department at a time which as you can imagine is slow as heck. I’ve started trying to find ways to open up the deployment to consume more workstations and end users but, I seem to be stuck at the end users point, with being able to support the end users after the migration is done and also from the manual processes after the user is migrated using the scripts above.
This is why I decided to blog about it. Maybe someone out there can give me more insight into maybe being able to streamline this more are just confirm that this is as good as it gets.
I know there are tools out there (quest migration toolkit), I’ve looked into the quest tool, but at front it seems expensive and then on top of the tool being expensive it requires consulting hours)
I’ve been doing this 13 years now and I swear everyplace is different and has a certain twist. for this place I swear it seems more of the end users resistance against change.
Any tips are ticks anyone can offer feel free to kick them out there. At this point I feel the process is as good as its going to get. (I’m hoping I’m wrong.)
Twitter – @firstname.lastname@example.org
Email – email@example.com